INTEGRATED IN-SERVICE SUPPORT SOLUTIONS
Copyright © Boeing
The L3 MAS core Research and Development (R&D) team is always exploring and developing new technologies to support your technical publication needs, including finding innovative solutions for your business challenges. Their goal is to work towards creating better and technologically advanced tools that are cost-effective, reliable and easy to use. Their vision and hard work have resulted in the following products:
MAS VIEWER SUITE
The MAS Viewer is an Interactive Electronic Technical Publication (IETP) viewer developed entirely by L3 MAS. Our programmers, who all have extensive backgrounds in military and commercial aircraft electronic publications, designed it with the following in mind:
- Optimization: Optimized user interface for tablet use and touch-based manipulation and navigation.
- Simple to use: Designed with the user in mind to truly reflect how the work is performed in the real world.
- Multi-platform: Runs on Windows®, iOS® and Android®.
- Multi-browser: Runs on browsers such as Internet Explorer, Edge, Firefox, Chrome and Safari.
- Unified user experience: Provides the same interface and user experience on all platforms and all browsers.
- Best practices: Designed and programmed using modern design and programming practices.
- Web technologies: Uses the latest and most accepted web programming languages and technologies (e.g. HTML5, CSS3, and jQuery).
- Integration ready: Implemented so that it can “integrate” with other systems (computerized maintenance management systems, parts ordering systems, etc.).
The MAS Viewer modules
The MAS Viewer consists of multiple modules entirely developed in-house:
- MAS View is the core of the MAS Viewer. The role of this module is to render or display the technical data on screen. The technical data is HTML5 converted or “published” from the approved for release S1000D XML data.
- MAS Find is the MAS Viewer search engine. It can search within XML, HTML, PDF and even graphic files.
- MAS Intel is an intelligent wiring diagram viewer. It is essentially the MAS Graph “switched” into an intelligent wiring diagram mode. Using its own schema, it provides sheet-to-sheet navigation, wire tracing tools and sustainment across multiple sheets or even systems. Wire tracing sessions can be saved and reloaded at the user’s convenience. It also provides intelligence embedding on raster images. It is very fast and does not require any installation on thin clients.
- MAS Publish is a suite of tools that converts the approved for release XML into HTML5, assembles the graphics, prepares all required supporting files and makes everything ready for viewing in the MAS Viewer.
INTERACTIVE DOCUMENT LIBRARY SYSTEM (IDLS) – LEGACY BROWSERS
© Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation 2010. All rights reserved.
The Interactive Document Library System (IDLS) is our widely-implemented, Windows-based IETP and IETM browser. Since its inception, the IDLS has become the de facto IETP/IETM browser for five RCAF fleets.
The IDLS supports multiple specifications. CALS, ATA and S1000D can also be rendered simultaneously. This allows customers to continue to support older publications or to convert their publications at the speed they choose.
L3MASsrv: S1000D AUTHORING/VALIDATION TOOLS
S1000D authoring can be a challenge
Authoring technical content in S1000D compliant XML can be a challenge and is often time consuming. Authors must comply with the S1000D specification pre-defined document structures or schemas and with all project-specific decisions stated in the project business rules (business rules are essentially a permitted tailoring of the specification). This is true for any markup language (SGML, XML, HTML) authoring whether the specification used is S1000D, CALS, or something else.
Simplifying S1000D authoring with plugins
To simplify the work, L3 MAS has developed a suite of plugins for the PTC Arbortext XML editor. Named the L3MASsrv (for L3 MAS Services), these plugins:
- Provide authoring functions that significantly speed up repetitive tasks
- Automate the creation of hyperlinked cross-reference tables
- Prevent authors from entering content in locations that are not allowed
- Enter blocks of XML tags used repeatedly, and much more
These plugins also provide XML validation tools, which validate one or multiple XML files for compliance to the S1000D specification and, more importantly, to the project specific business rules.
The L3MASsrv have evolved and continue to evolve. The feedback and needs of users continue to drive this evolution.
UPCOMING INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS
L3 MAS has designed a multi-platform mobile solution for IETM delivery that does not require a live network connection. The lack of connectivity in typical military aircraft maintenance environments is a dilemma that has been removed. Building on this, we also initiated an R&D project to add augmented reality (AR) to our IETM delivery solutions. Possible integration between AR technology (glasses, etc.) and IETM data was researched and led to the production of an integrated AR solution prototype that was presented and well received by the aircraft maintenance community. Looking ahead, this integration will be increased and optimized to encompass the electronic publications (IETMs), the conduct of maintenance (Computerized Maintenance Management Systems) and the supply chain.